Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Beginning of a Beautiful Thing

The Beginning of a Beautiful Thing


Hello blogging world, my name is Jon Wordingham, a.k.a. The Word, and my mission for this blog is the following: To bring you, the beautiful people, my unadulterated, unfiltered and apolitical view on the world of sports (and occasionally other important stories in our society).
Now I know what you’re thinking, ‘Who the hell is this guy, and why does he think he can give me a view on sports that I haven’t already heard?’ Well, let me give you some personal background that might convince you that I’m actually more qualified than the average Joe (no pun intended, I think that show sucks).
I’m a recent recipient of a Bachelors degree in communications from the accredited and highly prestigious Alfred University in western New York. While at Alfred I was a four year letterman with the varsity swim team, I had a decent backstroke for all those interested, and a two year co-captain for the Saxons. My insights on swimming are some of the best around, considering I’m a sports nerd first and foremost for my favorite sport, and that should be especially enlightening with the Games in Beijing just around the corner. However, I’m a realist, so I will now explain why I’m qualified to tell you about all of the popular sports in American culture (and no I’m not talking about soccer).
I was also the sports editor for the Alfred U. paper, the Fiat Lux. During my time in that position I wrote and edited sports stories for more time that I would like to acknowledge. We covered everything from our own equestrian team to the Buffalo Sabres, not in any particular order. For all that it may concern I built the sports page from having two writers, myself and the original sports editor, to four sometimes five contributors. On top of my newspaper work, I was a sports talk radio show host and a contributor to AUTV.
Outside of school I was a sports intern for News8Now in Rochester, NY. If you happened to be at Locust Hill for the LPGA last summer you would have seen me scampering up and down the course with a tripod and notebook. Interning is fun for everybody but the intern. I basically spent my entire summer watching games and taking notes on the highlights that I thought should go on the show, writing the occasional voice over, and creating a resume tape that I then proceeded to carelessly lose (what a joke eh?).
Anyways, sad as it is, I find sports to be an aphrodisiac beyond anything that the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue can offer me (although I do enjoy the articles). I am completely and totally in love with the world of sports, therefore I spend more time than the average bear watching, listening and reading about sports. As many qualifications as I might believe that I have, my greatest asset is obsession. So, if you just enjoy casually following sports or you share my sick obsession tune in twice weekly (most likely Thursday and Sunday) to enjoy or despise my columns and features. Until that time, enjoy the Olympic Trials this evening and the remainder of Wimbledon (go Federer) and I look forward to seeing you on Thursday. PEACE~

1 comment:

Bill Brown said...

After all that talk about swimming being your favorite sport, I can't believe you don't have any commentary on the record breaking swims at the Olympic trials, or the Old Farts who are winning races. I'm disappointed in you, Word. At least there's a doping scandal going on to keep swimming in the news, even if you don't end up writing about it.